The band is the oldest on the island, as it was founded in 1904 and its original name was PHILHARMONIC AND MUSICAL SCHOOL OF ITHACA. Later, in 1914, when the COMMUNAL ASSOCIATION OF ITHACA is founded, the philharmonic school is integrated into the association. The band is a private entity, non-profit, and its goal is to offer free musical training to the young of the region and provide them with a broader musical education. The philharmonic orchestra participates in all the events of the island, educational, municipal, religious, ethnic and other. It also organizes concerts on the island and beyond. For several decades it has been housed in its own two-story building in downtown Ithaca.