Messinia – Tradition

There are ancient findings in every corner of Greece. Nowhere else, though, is there such a well-preserved ancient city like Messini. In many areas there are Byzantine and medieval castles, but not like those of Methoni and Koroni. Many cities in the country played an important role in the Greek Revolution. Few, however, gave it the impetus that Kalamata did. Few places in the world also keep the tradition as they do in Western Mani.

These and many more make up a versatile landscape, which paint the final picture of the culture of Messinia. Ruins of thousands of years, are scattered throughout the Messinian land, impressive vaulted tombs, the great Palace of Nestor, and even the tombs of the legendary Dioscuri in Kardamili. Museums are the best guardians of the culture of Messinia, places no visitor should miss. Historic monasteries, churches of a unique architecture and Byzantine monuments like Agios Charalambos in Kalamata, compose a significant part of the religious culture of the region.

The city of Kalamata is a “living” monument of the culture of Messinia, and it will win you over the moment you lay eyes on it: neoclassical buildings, the old town, the imposing castle, the railway station and many other places, each leaving its own sign on the face of the city. Niokastro in Pylos, the Castle of Kyparissia, the Monument to the Fallen Greeks in the battle of the island Sfaktiria, the Old Kardamili, the Vardia (“shift”) of Demetreons, and the impressive towers of West Mani, are all elements that make up the culture of Messinia and cause the admiration and interest of tens of thousands of visitors.

  • Ηandkerchief of Kalamata

    The famous Handkerchief of Kalamata, has its history of the 19th century, when Kalamata was a center of silk producing of Greek state.

  • Zoumpouleio Hall

    In Zoumpouleio Halla in Kalamata, a renovated neoclassical building of 1905 houses the Municipal School of Dance and is base of the International Dance Festival of Kalamata.

  • Zoodochos Pigi Kampos

  • Wine

    The cultivation of the vine in Messinia was prevalent since ancient times. Today the region produces excellent quality grapes that give fine wines.

  • War of darts

    The War of darts of Kalamata is one of the most impressive, noisy and "illuminated" Easter customs in Greece. It takes place on the afternoon of Easter Sunday.

  • Vaulted Tomb of Voidokilia

    The Vaulted Tomb of Voidokilia of the Mycenaean period is believed to have belonged to Thrasymedes, son of the legendary King Nestor. There were found quite rich offerings.

  • Vaulted Tomb of Kaplani

    Between the villages of Kaplani and Zizani, at the top of the hill Vigla lies the Mycenaean vaulted tomb with a diameter of five meters.

  • Vardia (the Greek word for “Shift”) of Demetreons

    The Shift (Observatory) of Demetreons was built in the 18th century, over the old port of Kardamyli to guarantee the better surveillance of the area.

  • Underwater Telescope of Neutrino

    At the seabed of Methoni outside Pilos, a pioneering project and experiment relevant to the astroparticle physics is performed and an underwater telescope of neutrino is installed.

  • Town Hall of Kalamata

    The City Hall of Kalamata is housed in a neoclassical building in early 19th century on the pedestrian sreet of Aristomenous. It is one of the buildings “ornaments” of the city.

  • Tower of Patriarcheas

    The Tower of Patriarcheas is located in the village Prosilio, in West Mani, and it belongs to the widely known traditional architecture of Towers in Mani that used to prevail in the 19th century.

  • Tower of Mourtzinos

    The Tower of Mourtzinos in Old Kardamyli dates from the 17th century

  • Tower of Mavrikos

    The Tower of Mavrikos was built in 1814 in the village of Malta, West Mani, by the primate of the village, Mavrikos.

  • Tower of Koumoundouros

    The Tower of Koumoundouros, in which Alexander Koumoundouros was born, is located at the village Kampos, West Mani.

  • Tower of Kapetanakides

    The Tower of Kapetanakides is at the village of Sotirianika, in West Mani, and it was built in the late 18th century.

  • Tower of Houseas

    The Tower of Houseas is located at Proastio, a village of West Mani, and it is estimated to have been built in the early 19th century.

  • Tower of Dourakis

    The Tower Dourakis in Kastania of western Mani was the refuge of Theodoros Kolokotronis during the period of the great persecutions of rebels.

  • Tower of Christeas

    The Tower of Christeas hosts the historic cannon of Mani, known as "Kopsocheila”.

  • Tower Goudeli

    Goudelis Tower is located at the village Kariovouni in western Mani and it has been classified as a historic monument.

  • Tomato and Onion Festival

    Tomato and Onion Festival is held every year, during the second half of August in the village of Metamorphosis in the area of Pylia.

  • Theatre of Messini

    The Ancient Theatre of Messini, one of the largest in antiquity, was restored and re-opened its doors to the public after "silence" of 1700 years.

  • The Wedding of Koutroulis

    The Wedding of Koutroulis revives every first Monday in Lent in Methoni in remembrance of actual event that took place in the 14th century and has remained as a proverbial expression.

  • The wall of Verga

    The wall of Verga is built by people from Mani to repel the attacks of the Turks in 1826. Its height reaches 2m. and has many embrasures.

  • The Tower of Kitriniaris

    The Tower of Kitriniaris is located between the villages of Eksochori and Saidona, in West Mani.

  • The Tower of Kapetanakides at Mills

    At Mantinea, in West Mani, the Tower of Kapetanakides is still preserved at the location of the Mills that could turn by the water.

  • The tombs of Dioscuri

    The tombs of Dioscuri are situated in a path through the gorge of Viros, 10 minutes from Old Kardamyli.

  • The residence of Tsiklitiras

    The House of the Greek Olympic champion Kostas Tsiklitiras, at Pilos. has been recently restored and turned into a museum which presents the collection of the philhellene Rene Puaux.

  • The Old Factory of Kardamyli

    The Old Factory of Kardamyli with a beautiful view towards the harbor, used to serve as olive mill, as Kernel olive oil factory as well as soap factory.

  • The Museum of Mourtzinos

    The Museum of Mourtzinos is housed in a residence of three floors, in the Tower of Mourtzinos in the old Kardamyli.

  • The Liberation of Kalamata

    Every year on March 23rd in Kalamata they celebrate the liberation of the city from the Turks, with many events and representation of the occupation and liberation.

  • The Historical – Folklore Museum “Androuvista”

    The Historical - Folklore Museum "Androuvista” of Eksochori is located in West Mani and includes a rich collection of objects from the area .

  • The Aqueduct of Pilos

    The Aqueduct of Pilos, one of the most important public works of the Ottoman Period in Messinia, covered the needs for water at Niokastro.

  • Sugria

    Sugria was the institution that allowed men from Mani to acquire a second wife if the legal wife could ont give birth children or gave birth only girls.

  • Square of Ypapanti

    The Square of Ypapanti is just below the castle in the old city of Kalamata. There stands the Metropolitan Church of Ypapanti

  • Square of March 23

    In the Square of March 23 there is the historic church of Agioi Apostoloi, where according to tradition, the Revolution started on 23 March, 1821.

  • Small Church of Taxiarches

    The small church of Taxiarches is located 4 km away from the city of Kalamata.

  • Small Church of Great Archangels

    The small church of Great Archangels is located 4 km away from the city of Kalamata

  • Sfela

    The sfela is a white cheese made from goat milk produced in the southern Peloponnese. It is also called "cheese of fire" because of the spiciness.

  • Sanctuary of Pamisos

    River Pamisos in Messinia was worshiped in ancient times for its healing powers. The Sanctuary of Pamisos was in the village of Agios Floros.

  • Sanctuary of Ithomatas Zeus

    The Sanctuary of Ithomatas Zeus was on the top of Mountain Ithomi in Messinia, in the place where the Convent of Voulkano is built today.

  • Sanctuary of Artemis Limnatida

    The Sanctuary of Artemis Limnatida is located on a plateau at northeast of the village Mavrommati. There are found the foundations, the altar and the pedestal of the statue.

  • Sanctuary of Apollo of Korythos

    Buildings of successive building phases that have been excavated in the region of Agios Andreas of Loga, are identified with the Sanctuary of Apollo Korythiou Peloponnese-or.

  • Samarina

    The church of Samarina is one of the most well-preserved Byzantine monuments of Messinia. It was built in the 12th century and was a holy Catholic monastery.

  • Saint Vasilios of Methoni

    Saint Vasilios in Methoni is one of the most important monuments of the Byzantine period. It is located 2 kilometers outside the town on the road to Pylos.

  • Saint Sophia of the Castle of Koroni

    In the center of the Castle of Koroni lies the Byzantine church of Saint Sophia, a small church built in the 12th century on the ruins of a temple.

  • Roman Baths

    Premises of Roman Baths have come to light 3.5 km to the west of Petalidi. It includes a bath, glass furnaces and auxiliary premises.

  • Roast pork

    The roast pork is very famous in the southern Peloponnese and has its roots in Messina and goes back to the Ottoman era.

  • Raisin

    Among the major products produced in Messinia is the Black Raisin from Korinthos. About 10,000 tones are produced per year and exported abroad.

  • Railway station of Kalamata

    The Railway Station of Kalamata, at the junction of Railway Station and Franzi streets is an example of industrial architecture, built of stone.

  • Railway Park

    The Railway Park of Kalamata is the only outdoor museum of its kind. It spreads across an area of 54 acres just 5 minutes from the city center.

  • Port of Kalamata

    The port of Kalamata was once the commercial and financial center. Along the port there are still some buildings that recall the glamour of yesteryear.

  • Philharmonic Band of Kalamata

    The Philharmonic Band of Kalamata was founded in 1890 and is housed in an old mansion on Ypapanti street in the historic city center.

  • Patria

    Patria in Mani was the family where only male members who had consanguinity, belonged.

  • Paths of the Olive Tree

    The Paths of the Olive Tree is a cultural journey that aims at the international promotion and exploitation of the valuable tree for the benefit of the oil producing areas.

  • Pasteli

    Messinia is known for pasteli, the traditional candy made with sesame and honey. The pastelis of Messinia and exported abroad.

  • Panagia Grivitsiani

    Panagia Grivitsiani – Saints Theodores is a ruined monastery near the village of Chomatero of Southwest Messinia. It is dated to the 12th-13th century.

  • Paleocastro

    Paleocastro that dominates the northern part of the bay of Navarino was built in the 13th by the Franks. It offers an incredible view of Voidokoilia beach and the lagoon of Divari.

  • Palace of Nestor

    The so-called Palace of Nestor is the most well-preserved Mycenaean Palace in Greece. It is located in Messinia, 4 km south of the village of Chora and 14 km from Pylos.

  • Olives from Kalamata

    The olives from Kalamata is the most famous product of Messinia. They are distinguished for the cylindrical-conical shape and deep black shiny color.

  • Olive oil

    The olive oil of Messinia is of exceptional taste and unique quality known worldwide. Whole Messinia is a vast olive grove.

  • Old town of Kalamata

    The old town of Kalamata is located around the area of the Castle and there you can find many interesting buildings, museums, art galleries and many cafes.

  • Old Monastery of Voulkano

    The Old Monastery of Voulkano is built in the 8th century at the top of the mountain Ithomi near the village Mavrommati. It was abandoned in 1625 when it was moved to a lower point.

  • Old Kardamili

    Old Kardamili, situated above the new settlement, is a well-preserved castle town with tower houses.

  • Niokastro

    Niokastro of Pilos is one of the best preserved castles in Greece. It was built in 1573 by the Turks to protect the southern entrance of the harbor.

  • Myrsinochori

    Two vaulted tombs of the early Mycenaean period have been excavated in Myrsinochori at Routsi. One of them was found intact.

  • Mycenaean settlement in Antikalamos

    A small part of Mycenaean settlement was revealed in Antikalamos, with particular importance. It is the first to be revealed near the city of Kalamata.

  • Municipal Theatre of Kalamata (Regional Theatre of Kalamata )

    The Municipal Theatre of Kalamata that was founded in 1984 has two stages, the central and the new one. It has presented numerous Greek and world plays.

  • Municipal School of Music of Kalamata

    The Municipal School of Music of Kalamata is housed in a traditional neoclassical building of 1860s, near the square of Ypapanti in the Castle.

  • Municipal Gallery ” A. Tassos ‘

    The Municipal Gallery "A. Tassos" in the center of Kalamata presents paintings, sculpture, printmaking and ceramics of famous artists of the '80s.

  • Mpourtzi

    Mpourtzi of Methoni is connected to the castle with a small arched stone-paved bridge. It was built in 1500 as an independent, small fortress.

  • Monument to the Fallen Russian Sailors

    The Monument to the Fallen Russian Sailors is at Sfaktiria, a small island near Pilos and it is dedicated to the Russian sailors that lost heroically their life at the Battle of Navarino.

  • Monument of warrior from Mani

    The monument of Warrior from Mani was erected on beach of Verga to commemorate the historical Battle of Verga in 1826 in which people from Mani repulsed Ibrahim.

  • Monument for fallen Greeks in the battle of Skaktiria

  • Monastery Panagoulaki

    The monastery Panagoulaki is an monastery for old calendarists near the town of Kalamata.

  • Monastery of Velanidia

    The Monastery of Velandia got its name from the ancient oak that stood near the monastery until the earthquake of 1884, when it was felled

  • Monastery of Vaidenitsa

    The abandoned monastery of Vaidenitsa in western Mani is built in a ravine between villages Exochori and Saidona. It dates back to the 17th or 18th century.

  • Monastery of Sidiroporta

    The Monastery of Sidiroporta got its name from the heavy iron door installed by the founder of the Bishop Parthenios Methonis.

  • Monastery of Savior

    Inside the Gorge of Viros in Western Mani there is the Monastery of Savior of the 14th century, that is abandoned today. The Church organizes a big feast on August 6th.

  • Monastery of Samuel

    The Monastery of Samuel in Western Mani is a ruined castle-monastery built in a ravine on the western slope of the peak Sotiritsa in Taygetos.

  • Monastery of Saint John the Baptist

    On the west side of the Castle of Koroni is located the nunnery of Saint John the Baptist in a large area with several buildings and fruit trees.

  • Monastery of Prophet Joel

    The Monastery of Prophet Joel is located in Fares of Kalamata, to the east of the city center.

  • Monastery of Prophet Elias

    The cells of the Monastery of Prophet Elias were used for hosting indigent tuberculars and psychiatric institution "Prophet Elias"

  • Monastery of Mardaki

    The historic monastery of Mardaki became a refuge for kleftes and armatoloi in 1821. Every 15 and 23 August the miraculous icon of the Virgin Mary, work of Evangelist Luke is exposed to pilgrimage.

  • Monastery of Holy Trinity

    The Monastery of Holy Trinity is a dependency of the Monastery of Dimiovia with ongoing relations since the 17th century.

  • Monastery of Gardiki

    The monastery of Gardiki was base of Papaflessas for the liberating struggle of 1821.

  • Monastery of Exaltation of the Holy Cross

    In the Monastery of Exaltation of the Holy Cross you will find a unique workshop with six old looms.

  • Monastery of Ellinika

    The Monastery of Ellinika is built near the ruins of ancient Thouria. It is located 13 km away from northwest of Kalamata.

  • Monastery of Dimiovia

    The Monastery of Dimiovia is located at the foot of Taygetos. It houses the icon of Virgin Mary Dimiovitissa.

  • Monastery of Chrysokellaria

    The Monastery of Chrysokellaria of the 17th century is located in the southwestern Messinia, between the villages of Vasilitsi and Chrysokellaria. Since 1977, there are no nuns.

  • Monastery of Androumpevitsa

    The Monastery of Androumpevitsa is located in West Mani, one kilometer away from Stavropigio, built between 12th-13th century and today serves as a nunnery.

  • Monastery Mele

    The church of Timios Prodromos or Monastery Mele has recently been restored by the Archaeological Service.

  • Monastery Lykaki

    The Monastery Lykaki is inside the Gorge of Viros in Western Mani above Kardamyli. It is a building of the 14th-16th century that now has been recaptured.

  • Monastery Karaveli

    The Monastery Karaveli near Petrovouni of western Mani was a fortified monastery of the 14th century with defensive enclosure, battlements and of course the church.

  • Monastery Kalograion

    The Monastery Kalograion in the center of Kalamata is dedicated to Saints Constantine and Helen and is the place where the famous handkerchief of Kalamata is made.

  • Mills in Messinia ” Evagelistria”

    The huge abandoned industrial building that dominates on the port of Kalamata, hosted since 1926 the Mills of Messinia "Evagelistria."

  • Military Museum of Kalamata

    The Military Museum of Kalamata shows through uniforms, war and photographic material, the military history since 1821 to the present day.

  • Messinian Feast

    The Messinian feast that starts on September 20th and lasts nine days is combined with the Descent of the Icon of Virgin Mary of the Monastery of Voulkano in Messini.

  • Makaronas

    Makaronas is a very old custom reviving in Pylos on Sunday before Clean Monday. The residents adjudicate an effigy of straw and burn it at the stake.

  • Litany

    The litany takes place on the second day after Easter in Mani, while it passes through the cemetery of the village along with the believers.

  • Lignite mine at Chomatero

    The lignite mine at Chomatero, in Messenia, started its operation in 1916 and gave work to many local residents.

  • Lighthouse of Kitrion

    The stone made lighthouse of the western Kitrion in Mani opened in 1892.

  • Lalaggia

    The Lalaggia of Messinia, the well-known pancakes, are made by many housewives. They are also offered during any kind of celebrations and events in the area.

  • King George Square

    King George Square is the central square of the city, one of the busiest spots. Important events and celebrations of the city take place here.

  • Ketseas Tower

    Ketseas Tower is located at Kato Doloi in western Mani.

  • Kapitsinou Tower

    Kapitsinou Tower is located in Mani, at the village Dell. It has 5 floors and very simple architecture. Special positions for rifles are its main characteristique.

  • International Dance Festival

    The International Dance Festival of Kalamata is held every July since 1995 and has been evolved into one of the most important events of its kind in Europe.

  • International Dance Center

    The International Dance Center of Kalamata was founded in 1995 for the development of dance creativity in the city. It is the organizer of the International Dance Festival.

  • Horse Races

    The Horse races at Plati of Messinia take place every year on the day of the feast of Saint Georgios. It is custom revived since ottoman occupation with great participation.

  • Honey

    The Messinian honey is produced from the forests of firs, pines and various flowers of Greek flora. It is a 100% natural product with beneficial qualities for the body.

  • Historical and Folklore Museum of Thalames

    The Private Historical and Folklore Museum of Thalames, is hosted in a tower house and incudes exhibitions of important documents of the social and rural life in the area.

  • Hill range Ellinika

    The hill range Ellinika is 11 km away from Kalamata and an extensive cemetery of chambered Mycenaean tombs and many valuable findings came to light next to Ellinika.

  • Hanging Old Lady Sikou

    Hanging of Old Lady Sikou is a custom revived every year on first Monday in Lent, in Carnival of Messini.

  • Gdikiomos

    The gdikiomos was the way of unjust retaliation to someone and was applied in Mani.

  • Gallery of Contemporary Greek Art

    The Gallery of Contemporary Greek Art in Kalamata hosts works of great Greek artists such as Egonopoulos, Fasianos, Tsoklis, Mytaras, Halepas, etc.

  • Folklore Museum of Voufrada

    The Folklore Museum of Voufrada is housed in the old building of elementary school in the village Milioti. It includes items from the daily life of modern times.

  • Folklore museum of Kalamata – Mansion Kyriakou

  • Folklore Collection of Mani

    The Folklore Collection of Mani is located in the village Platsa of western Mani. It includes more than 700 objects of the popular culture of the region.

  • Fish Tsiliada

    The fish Tsiliada is a recipe that comes from Kalamata and combines sweet taste with salty.

  • Figs of Kalamata

    One of the typical products of Messini is fig of Kalamata, fresh or dried.

  • Festival of Edible Olive

    The Festival of Edible Olive is held every August in Trikorfo of Messinia with the participation of formulators of edible olives from all over Greece. The festival lasts two days.

  • Feast of Ypapanti

    The feast of Ypapanti is a great religious celebration in honor of "Our Lady Ypapanti," protector and patron of Kalamata. The festivities last for 14 days.

  • Feast of fig

    The Feast of fig takes place every August in Polylofo of Messinia. Many people honor this fruit which is one of the main crops of the village.

  • Feast of artichoke

    The Feast of Artichoke takes place every July since 1987 in the village Mikromani. It attracts many visitors to taste the artichoke in countless variations.

  • Derezea Tower

    Derezea Tower is located in the village Thalames on the road from Kardamyli to Itilo.

  • Customs Office ( Ntouana )

    Central location in the port of Kalamata holds the Customs Office Square, where there is the building complex of Customs Office (Ntouana).

  • Custom of Fire

    Meta description The Custom of Fire that revives in Messini, is unique in Greece. Huge bonfires are lit in neighborhoods and a feast takes place around them.

  • Cultural Center of Kalamata

    The Cultural Centre of Kalamata, on Aristomenous street, is housed in a neoclassical building of 1912, next to which it a new part of modern construction was built.

  • Church og Agioi Anargiroi in Nomitsi

    The Church of Agioi Anargiroi is one the most important monuments of Western Mani.

  • Church of Ypapanti

    The church of Ypapanti is the Metropolitan church of Kalamata that celebrates on February 2nd, but the rituals last 14 days.

  • Church of Transfiguration of the Savior in Nomitsi

    The church of Transfiguration of the Savior is 55 kilometers away from the city of Kalamata.

  • Church of Transfiguration of the Savior

    The Church of Transfiguration of the Savior is in Fagrianika of Milia and is 60 kilometers away from the city of Kalamata.

  • Church of Saint Nicolaos of Fragolimni and Saint Athanasios of Tzane

    The "Twin" church of Saint Nicolaos of Fragolimna and Saint Athanasios s of Tzane is located to the west of the square of Frangolimna.

  • Church of Mikroi Taxiarches

    The Church of Mikroi Taxiarches belonges to Benakis family and since 1916 is a dependency of the Monastery of Velanidia.

  • Church of Agios Stratigos in Pyrgos

    The Church of Agios Stratigos is in Pyrgos of Western Mani and 56 kilometers away from Kalamata.

  • Church of Agios Spyridon in Kardamyli

    The Church of Agios Spyridon integrated in the fortress set of the Tower of Mourtzinos is 37 kilometers away from the city of Kalamata.

  • Church of Agios Petros in Kastania

    The Church of Agios Petros in Kastania is 52 km away from the city of Kalamata.

  • Church of Agios Nicolaos in Platsa

    The Church of Agios Nicolaos with its exquisite frescoes is 54 km away from the city of Kalamata.

  • Church of Agios Nicolaos in Doloi

    The church of Agios Nicolaos is 25 km away from the city of Kalamata.

  • Church of Agioleo

    The Church of Agioleo in Methoni, which is now ruined, was sample of pure Gothic architecture in the Messinian area. It was the main church of a Cistercian monastery of the 13th century.

  • Church of Agia Sophia in Gournitsa

    The Church of Agia Sophia is located in the homonymous village of Western Mani and is 42 kilometers away from Kalamata.

  • Church of Agia Paraskevi

    The church of Agia Paraskevi in Kato Doloi is 24 km away from the city of Kalamata.

  • Church of Agia Kiriaki

  • Central Public Library of Kalamata

    The Central Public Library of Kalamata was founded in 2004 and contains approximately 11,700 titles of educational, cultural and informational content.

  • Cave of Agioi Anargiroi

    The Cave of Agioi Anargiroi is near the village of Palaio Loutro, 45 km away from Kalamata.

  • Catacombs of St. Onouphrios

    The Catacombs of St. Onouphrios Methoni is the oldest Christian cemetery that has ever been found throughout Peloponnese. It is carved into the rock.

  • Castle of Zarnata

    The Castle of Zarnata is located in the northwest frontier of Mani, between the settlements of Campos and Stavropigio. It is estimated to have been built in the 17th century.

  • Castle of Pidima

    Castle of Pidima is located on a hilltop outside of the village Pidima in Messinia. It was built by the Byzantines in 1300 to control the valley.

  • Castle of Pera

    The Castle of Pera was built in the years of Venetian rule and is on the hilltop with panoramic views above the village of Agia Sotria near Petalidi.

  • Castle of Pelekanada

    The Castle of Pelekanada in Belermpei, was probably built by the Venetians to protect the gate to their possessions in Pylos and Methoni.

  • Castle of Methoni

    The Castle of Methoni is the most characteristic sample of Castles in Greece. It covers an area of 93 acres and ends at the Fort Mpourtzi.

  • Castle of Kyparissia

  • Castle of Koroni

    The Castle of Koroni is one of the most famous castles in Greece. It was built in the form we see it today by the Venetians, in the 13th century. It is the only castle in Greece that continues to be inhabited until today.

  • Castle of Kalamata

    The Castle of Kalamata was built in the early 13th century. Due to the earthquake of 1986 it cannot be visited inside but only perimetrically.

  • Castle of Androussa

    In the Castle of Androussa of 13th century there are still today a series of walls, the cannona and the watchtower. The space is also used for cultural events.

  • Castle Lefktro

    The castle of Lefktro was built during the Frankish Rule, at the exact same location where was the ancient city of Leuctra used to be, above Stoupa, in Mani.

  • Carnival of Nedousa

  • Carnival of Messini

    The Carnival of Messini is one of the most characteristic of Greece, as here, the festivities culminate on first Monday in Lent, rather than the last Sunday.

  • Carnival of Kalamata

    The Carnival of Kalamata attracts thousands of visitors. The focal point is Square of Georgios, where the parade ends.

  • Bridge of river Valyra

    The current concrete bridge of river Valyra was built in 1953 over an older bridge from the ancient time of Epaminondas, the 4th century BC.

  • Bridge of Mavrozoumaina

  • Bridge of Agios Polycarpos (Lagou Hani)

    The stone bridge with six arcs of Agios Polycarpos, in the region of Lagou Hani, in western Taygetos, was built in 1901 and unites the two banks of the river Nedontas.

  • Bridge Ntempriz

    The Bridge Ntempriz is one of the oldest bridges of Messinia. It was built during the Venetian rule (16th century) near the village Strefi, about 16.5 km away from Messini.

  • Benakio Archaeological Museum of Kalamata

    The Benakio Archaeological Museum was closed in 2008 and the building now houses the archaeological museum services of Messinia and the exhibits were transferred.

  • Battle of Ligoudista

    The Battle of Ligoudista was held on March 27 1821 at Chora Messenias and was another important victory for the rebellious Greeks.

  • Bastogefyro (Bridge)

    Bastogefyro is a stone bridge that was built in 1950 on river Pamisos near the village of Plati. It is not used as the bed of the river has changed.

  • Avenue of Navarino

    The Avenue of Navarino, the coastal road of Kalamata, is one of the busiest parts of the city, an ideal place for walks, coffee, food and of course, diving.

  • Artistic Municipal School

    The Artistic Municipal School of Kalamata is housed in a neoclassical building on Navarino street and it includes classes of painting, sculpture, printmaking and ceramics.

  • Aristomenous Street

    The heart of the city of Kalamata is along Aristomenous street with coffee houses and shops, that crosses the old and the modern city and ends at the port.

  • Archaeological Museum of Pylos

    The Archaeological Museum of Pylos, known also as Antonoupouleio by its donor, hosts exhibits of the region from the Middle Helladic to the Roman times.

  • Archaeological Museum of Messinia

    The Archaeological Museum of Messenia is housed in the old market in the center of Kalamata. It includes exhibits from prehistoric to Byzantine times.

  • Archaeological Museum of Chora

    The Archaeological Museum of Chora is one of the best museums in relation to the Mycenaean findings. The number of gold objects available is very impressive.

  • Arcadian Gate

    The Arcadian Gate was one of the two entrances of ancient Messini and is an impressive monument preserved in good condition.

  • Andromonastiro

    Andromonastiro near the village Petralona is perhaps the most important monastery complex of Messinia. It is built in the 13th century and has fortified elements.

  • Ancient Thouria

    The ancient Thouria was one of the most important cities in Messinia of classical times. The ruins lie scattered in a very large area.

  • Ancient Thalames

    In the ancient city Thalames in western Mani, the ancient oracle of Pasiphae used to operate.

  • Ancient Source Klepsidra

    The Ancient Source Klepsidra which supplied with water ancient Messini, is in the village Mavrommati and gurgling water runs constantly since antiquity.

  • Ancient shipwrecks in Methoni

    In the Strait of Methoni have been identified two ancient shipwrecks with important findings. There is expected to open the first open to visitors underwater archaeological park.

  • Ancient Messini

    Ancient Messini is one of the most impressive archaeological sites, with many buildings to survive at very high altitude and in very good condition.

  • Ancient Lefktra

    Ancient Lefktra were above the current location of Stoupa and further relative information are available from Pausanias.

  • Ancient Fares

    Ancient Fares is in place of the current castle of Kalamata. It was an important center during the Late Helladic (Mycenaean) Age (1580-1120 BC).

  • Alexandrakeio Nursing Home

  • Agios Nikolaos of Ephesians

    The church of Agios Nicolaos of Ephesians is located on Squareof Frangolimna at short distance from the cemetery of Kalamata.

  • Agios Nicolaos of Vournazi

    Agios Nicolaos of Vournazi in the village Aristodimeio of Messini dates to 11th-13th century. It is a small stone church.

  • Agios Nicolaos Flarios

    The church of Agios Nicolaos Flarios was built on the ruins of the church of Agios Nicolaos Xenon in the center of Kalamata.

  • Agios Ioannis Prodromos

    Agios Ioannis Prodromos is considered the oldest parish church in Kalamata.

  • Agios Georgios of Androussa

    Agios Georgios of Androussa, in the cemetery of the city, dates to the 12th to 13th century and has interesting gothic architectural and decorative elements.

  • Agios Georgios

    Agios Georgios was the first cathedral in Kalamata after its liberation on March 23rd, 1821

  • Agios Elias Ardounis

    The church of Agios Elias Ardounis was built on the site where Elias Ardounis became a martyr on January 31st 1868.

  • Agios Dimitrios of Arcadians

    Agios Dimitrios of Arcadians is located near the square of Kalamata and dates from the 19th century

  • Agios Dimitrios

    Agios Dimitrios at the foot of the hill Tourles is a recognized ancient monument.

  • Agios Charalambos

    The church of Agios Charalambos is considered one of the most important Byzantine monuments of Kalamata.

  • Agios Andreas of Loga

    Agios Andreas of Loga is one of the most important Byzantine monuments in the area, built in the 9th-10th century.

  • Agioi Apostoloi

    The agonists of 1821 gave oath of loyalty to the revolution in the church of Agioi Apostoloi in Kalamata.

  • Agia Varvara Kampos

  • Popular Library of Kalamata

    The Popular Library of Kalamata is the largest and most important of the Greek region. It is on the 5th floor of the Cultural Center of the city.

  • Museum of Ancient Messini

    The Museum of Ancient Messini in Mavrommati is located in the village near the archaeological site and houses significant findings from excavations in the area.

  • Agios Georgios

    Agios Georgios is a picturesque village situated at the foot of Gkiona at an altitude of 240 meters.

Most Popular