Messinia – Cultural Attractions

  • Zoumpouleio Hall

    In Zoumpouleio Halla in Kalamata, a renovated neoclassical building of 1905 houses the Municipal School of Dance and is base of the International Dance Festival of Kalamata.

  • Underwater Telescope of Neutrino

    At the seabed of Methoni outside Pilos, a pioneering project and experiment relevant to the astroparticle physics is performed and an underwater telescope of neutrino is installed.

  • Town Hall of Kalamata

    The City Hall of Kalamata is housed in a neoclassical building in early 19th century on the pedestrian sreet of Aristomenous. It is one of the buildings “ornaments” of the city.

  • Theatre of Messini

    The Ancient Theatre of Messini, one of the largest in antiquity, was restored and re-opened its doors to the public after "silence" of 1700 years.

  • The wall of Verga

    The wall of Verga is built by people from Mani to repel the attacks of the Turks in 1826. Its height reaches 2m. and has many embrasures.

  • The tombs of Dioscuri

    The tombs of Dioscuri are situated in a path through the gorge of Viros, 10 minutes from Old Kardamyli.

  • The residence of Tsiklitiras

    The House of the Greek Olympic champion Kostas Tsiklitiras, at Pilos. has been recently restored and turned into a museum which presents the collection of the philhellene Rene Puaux.

  • The Old Factory of Kardamyli

    The Old Factory of Kardamyli with a beautiful view towards the harbor, used to serve as olive mill, as Kernel olive oil factory as well as soap factory.

  • The Aqueduct of Pilos

    The Aqueduct of Pilos, one of the most important public works of the Ottoman Period in Messinia, covered the needs for water at Niokastro.

  • Square of Ypapanti

    The Square of Ypapanti is just below the castle in the old city of Kalamata. There stands the Metropolitan Church of Ypapanti

  • Square of March 23

    In the Square of March 23 there is the historic church of Agioi Apostoloi, where according to tradition, the Revolution started on 23 March, 1821.

  • Railway station of Kalamata

    The Railway Station of Kalamata, at the junction of Railway Station and Franzi streets is an example of industrial architecture, built of stone.

  • Railway Park

    The Railway Park of Kalamata is the only outdoor museum of its kind. It spreads across an area of 54 acres just 5 minutes from the city center.

  • Port of Kalamata

    The port of Kalamata was once the commercial and financial center. Along the port there are still some buildings that recall the glamour of yesteryear.

  • Philharmonic Band of Kalamata

    The Philharmonic Band of Kalamata was founded in 1890 and is housed in an old mansion on Ypapanti street in the historic city center.

  • Old town of Kalamata

    The old town of Kalamata is located around the area of the Castle and there you can find many interesting buildings, museums, art galleries and many cafes.

  • Old Kardamili

    Old Kardamili, situated above the new settlement, is a well-preserved castle town with tower houses.

  • Municipal Theatre of Kalamata (Regional Theatre of Kalamata )

    The Municipal Theatre of Kalamata that was founded in 1984 has two stages, the central and the new one. It has presented numerous Greek and world plays.

  • Municipal School of Music of Kalamata

    The Municipal School of Music of Kalamata is housed in a traditional neoclassical building of 1860s, near the square of Ypapanti in the Castle.

  • Municipal Gallery ” A. Tassos ‘

    The Municipal Gallery "A. Tassos" in the center of Kalamata presents paintings, sculpture, printmaking and ceramics of famous artists of the '80s.

  • Mpourtzi

    Mpourtzi of Methoni is connected to the castle with a small arched stone-paved bridge. It was built in 1500 as an independent, small fortress.

  • Monument to the Fallen Russian Sailors

    The Monument to the Fallen Russian Sailors is at Sfaktiria, a small island near Pilos and it is dedicated to the Russian sailors that lost heroically their life at the Battle of Navarino.

  • Monument of warrior from Mani

    The monument of Warrior from Mani was erected on beach of Verga to commemorate the historical Battle of Verga in 1826 in which people from Mani repulsed Ibrahim.

  • Monument for fallen Greeks in the battle of Skaktiria

  • Mills in Messinia ” Evagelistria”

    The huge abandoned industrial building that dominates on the port of Kalamata, hosted since 1926 the Mills of Messinia "Evagelistria."

  • Lignite mine at Chomatero

    The lignite mine at Chomatero, in Messenia, started its operation in 1916 and gave work to many local residents.

  • Lighthouse of Kitrion

    The stone made lighthouse of the western Kitrion in Mani opened in 1892.

  • King George Square

    King George Square is the central square of the city, one of the busiest spots. Important events and celebrations of the city take place here.

  • International Dance Center

    The International Dance Center of Kalamata was founded in 1995 for the development of dance creativity in the city. It is the organizer of the International Dance Festival.

  • Gallery of Contemporary Greek Art

    The Gallery of Contemporary Greek Art in Kalamata hosts works of great Greek artists such as Egonopoulos, Fasianos, Tsoklis, Mytaras, Halepas, etc.

  • Customs Office ( Ntouana )

    Central location in the port of Kalamata holds the Customs Office Square, where there is the building complex of Customs Office (Ntouana).

  • Cultural Center of Kalamata

    The Cultural Centre of Kalamata, on Aristomenous street, is housed in a neoclassical building of 1912, next to which it a new part of modern construction was built.

  • Catacombs of St. Onouphrios

    The Catacombs of St. Onouphrios Methoni is the oldest Christian cemetery that has ever been found throughout Peloponnese. It is carved into the rock.

  • Castle of Zarnata

    The Castle of Zarnata is located in the northwest frontier of Mani, between the settlements of Campos and Stavropigio. It is estimated to have been built in the 17th century.

  • Castle of Pidima

    Castle of Pidima is located on a hilltop outside of the village Pidima in Messinia. It was built by the Byzantines in 1300 to control the valley.

  • Castle of Methoni

    The Castle of Methoni is the most characteristic sample of Castles in Greece. It covers an area of 93 acres and ends at the Fort Mpourtzi.

  • Castle of Kyparissia

  • Castle of Kalamata

    The Castle of Kalamata was built in the early 13th century. Due to the earthquake of 1986 it cannot be visited inside but only perimetrically.

  • Castle of Androussa

    In the Castle of Androussa of 13th century there are still today a series of walls, the cannona and the watchtower. The space is also used for cultural events.

  • Castle Lefktro

    The castle of Lefktro was built during the Frankish Rule, at the exact same location where was the ancient city of Leuctra used to be, above Stoupa, in Mani.

  • Bridge of river Valyra

    The current concrete bridge of river Valyra was built in 1953 over an older bridge from the ancient time of Epaminondas, the 4th century BC.

  • Bridge of Mavrozoumaina

  • Bridge of Agios Polycarpos (Lagou Hani)

    The stone bridge with six arcs of Agios Polycarpos, in the region of Lagou Hani, in western Taygetos, was built in 1901 and unites the two banks of the river Nedontas.

  • Bridge Ntempriz

    The Bridge Ntempriz is one of the oldest bridges of Messinia. It was built during the Venetian rule (16th century) near the village Strefi, about 16.5 km away from Messini.

  • Bastogefyro (Bridge)

    Bastogefyro is a stone bridge that was built in 1950 on river Pamisos near the village of Plati. It is not used as the bed of the river has changed.

  • Avenue of Navarino

    The Avenue of Navarino, the coastal road of Kalamata, is one of the busiest parts of the city, an ideal place for walks, coffee, food and of course, diving.

  • Artistic Municipal School

    The Artistic Municipal School of Kalamata is housed in a neoclassical building on Navarino street and it includes classes of painting, sculpture, printmaking and ceramics.

  • Aristomenous Street

    The heart of the city of Kalamata is along Aristomenous street with coffee houses and shops, that crosses the old and the modern city and ends at the port.

  • Alexandrakeio Nursing Home

Most Popular