Altomira is built on the slopes of Mountain Taygetos on the 12th km of the road between Kalamata. The mountainous preservable settlement of Messinia is inhabited only during summer by a few farmers and some vacationers. The village was firstly mentioned in 1618 having a population of 20 families and during the Turkish rule it belonged to captains and exarchy of Zarnata and became a refuge for thieves. It probably took its name by a thief, called Altomoros, who had found refuge there.and
Altomira has excellent examples of architecture of Mani such as the historical preservable buildings of Margelis and old stone houses, many of which are restored. The church of Agios Athanasios was built around 1865 and is the main temple of the village while Altomira also has the post-Byzantine Monastery of Saint Georgios.
Major attraction is the paved path of Mpiliovos constructed in late 19th century. It connects the village with lowland villages, where most residents of Altomira finally settled after the end of the Second World War. During the summer locals return and vivify their village with feasts and festivals.