Church of Saint Nicolaos of Fragolimni and Saint Athanasios of Tzane
The “twin” church of Saint Nikolaos of Frangolimni and Saint Athanasios of TzaneOn Bishop Meletios Street to the west to square of Frangolimna and at short distance from the church of Saint Nicolaos of Ephesus.
Although they are actually two different churches as they were constructed in a different time period, the Ministry of Culture describes the church of Saint Nikolaos of Frangolimni and Saint Athanasios of Tzane “twin aisled building with a pitched roof and three-sided apse, built of the early 19th century.”
However, the historians say that the church of Saint Nicolaos of Frangolimni and Saint Athanasios of Tzane took its present form after two phases: the older part is the northerly church of Saint Nikolaos that was built in the Byzantine era and posterior, the southern church of Saint Athanasios of Tzane, which was built in 1912, when the historic church was demolished and reports of that time indicate that this happened because of the works for tram in Kalamata.
Today, the “twin” church of Saint Nikolaos of Frangolimni and Saint Athanasios of Tzane works as a chapel of the Church of Ypapanti and it celebrates on 6th of December (Celebration of Saint Nikolaos) and 18th of January (Celebration of Saint Athanasios).
As now, in which the “twin” church of Saint Nikolaos of Frangolimni and Saint Athanasios of Tzane due their names: the first one to its current location and the second one because his «ancestor» belonged to the family Tzane, the tower of which was in the position that is today the building of the Philharmonic band in Kalamata.