Mikra Mantinea

Mikra Mantinea is located 11 kilometers at southeast of Kalamata and is a coastal settlement, an important tourist destination of Messinia. It is a popular tourist resort with restaurants, cafes, crystal clear beaches and resorts.

Mikra Mantinea was created shortly after the middle of the 17th century in the place now called Palio Chorio. It was first mentioned in 1700 as “Chora Mikri” as opposed to the older Megali Mantinea.

Since the early 20th century a small part of the population began to move to the nearby coastal areas to current Mikri Mantinea. In 1944 a strong earthquake ruined most of the village houses.

So the new seaside settlement was named Mikri Mantinea and the original settlement, Palio Chorio. The central church of the new village is the Prophet Elias.

Among the sights of Mikra Mantinea you have to visit the Tower of Kapetanaki, the watermill in the river, the church of Saint Spyridon, built in 1755, with a remarkable carved temple and the church of Saint Nicolas, built in 1743.