Mikromani of Messinia is located near the airport of Kalamata and 10 km away from the capital. In the 15th century it was called Mani, but has no territorial relationship with the West Mani of Messinia. The first inhabitants probably were residents of the Byzantine Despotate of Mystra and people of last Palaiologoi. They were probably from Mani, as evidenced today by several surnames of this town.
During the period of second Ottoman rule in the Peloponnese (1715-1821) the Turks named the place kazas (region) of Kioutzioukmani (Mikromani) to distinguish it from Great Mani of Zygos or Pentadaktylos (Taygetos). The name was kept even after liberation until 1835.
Mikromani is very fertile because its ground is irrigated by rivers and canals. It produces almost everything, but it is especially known for its wild artichoke, which is the main source of income of residents. Its cultivation covers approximately 650 acres.
Since 1987, every July, thetakes place in the central square of Mikromani and attracts thousands of visitors. The women of the village give to visitors the opportunity to try amazing dishes based on artichoke. It is estimated that in every celebration they consume 12,000-15,000 artichokes.
In Mikromani there is the Monastery of Assumption of Blessed Virgin Mary, which is a dependency of the Monastery of Agia Lavra on Mountain Athos and was built around 1700 AD.