Monastery of Gardiki
Τhe Monastery of Gardiki is at an altitude of 202 meters at southeast of the communities of Ano and Kato Amfeia (Gardiki) and 12 km at northwest of Kalamata. The area of Gardiki got its name from the Slavic word “Gard” meaning arid place.
The Monastery of Gardiki belongs to the destroyed monasteries of Metropolis in Messinia, but until 1977 Charitable foundation of Ηοspice was hosted in its cells and tower.
The Byzantine church of the Monastery of Gardiki, which celebrates on June 24th in the Birthday of John the Baptist, stands out for its dome and is considered one of the finest examples of post-Byzantine dome construction.
The Monastery of Gardiki that during the 19th century was only for nuns, has been historically used as a base during the liberation war of 1821 by Papaflessas (Archimandrite Grigorios Dikaios).
Among the monks who lived in the monastery of Gardiki was the first Greek missionary to Africa, Archimandrite Chrysostomos Papasarantopoulos coming from Vasilitsi in Messinia.