Monastery of Saint John the Baptist
The Monastery of Saint John the Baptist was built in the Venetian castle of Koroni and is a nunnery, old calendarist, built in 1918 .
Over the imposing gate of the Monastery of Saint John the Baptist is built in Byzantine style a chapel of the Holy Trinity. The first big yard that immediately follows has at its center the Catholic monastery, the church of Saint John the Baptist. It is a temple of moderate dimensions, of Byzantine style with a dome and two bell towers. It was built in 1922, was painted with hagiographies the same period and was inaugurated in 1928.
Behind the church and right of the bema lie the graves of the founders of the Monastery of Saint John the Baptist, Archimandrite Theodoulos and Abbot Theodoula, and at the southeastern corner of the monastery complex, the “cave” of the Elder Theodoulos, where lived his ascetic life the founder of the Monastery.
The main premises of the Monastery of Saint John the Baptist (cells, workshops, warehouses, etc.) are housed in two long buildings in the center of the fortress, in a lush and brushed garden of olive trees, fig trees, various fruit trees and vegetables.
On the south side, on the walls of the fortress, at a wonderful position with views to the sea, lies the abbey of the Monastery of Saint John the Baptist, a manor house of stylish traditional architecture, perfectly decorated with furniture of folk art and historical photographs. Here are hosted several guests.
Under the abbey there is the “School”, the area in which father Theodoulos had been preaching the word of God since 1918 and until almost his death in 1966. Next to the entrance, a few steps below the earth’s surface, there is a large hole that leads to the first “cell” of the Abbot of the Monastery of Saint John the Baptist, Theodoula. The visitor enters crawling and facing stones on which spent her first lonely years, the 16-year-old Irini Arvanitis.
The main occupation of the brotherhood of the Monastery of Saint John the Baptist is the cultivation of land and handicraft. The products of the laboratories of the monastery, especially weaving and knitting projects are exhibited at the “Needlework Exhibition”, which is housed in a separate building located right of the main gate.