The Old Factory of Kardamyli
Very close to the port of Kardamyli, in an area of about 3 acres, dominates the building of the Old Factory of Kardamyli.
The Old Factory of Kardamyli was the largest of its kind in the Balkans during the interwar period. It occasionally operated as olive mill, as soap factory and as Kernel olive oil factory.
The Old Factory of Kardamyli, property of the Liakea brothers, was built in 1932 by local builders. Years later Alexander Apostolakis became also partner of the Factory. He was a man with many shares in the olive mill of Kalamata (at the port).
Initially, the Old Factory of Kardamyli operated as olive mill, with machinery that had come from France and three years later it functioned as Kernel olive oil factory.
When the Old Factory of Kardamyli was at its peak, it was also used to cover the electricity needs of the village and it was manned approximately by 150 workers. Shortly before 1940, the Old Factory of Kardamyli began to function as a soap factory, but it stopped in 1958 and since then the building, although remaining deserted, it constitutes a benchmark for the entire region.