On the northwestern side of the village of Chomatero and within 1500 meters from it lies the ruined Monastery of the Assumption of Panagia (Our Lady) Grivitsiani.
We do not have a specific day for when Panagia Grivitsiani was built, but based on scientific researches on its architecture we conclude that the main church of the monastery was founded in the late 12th and early 13th century. The monastery is built in a gorge formed by two hills next to a small creek.
According to the legend, a Turk fell in love and married a woman named Maria from Grivitsa (current Evangelismos), who to atone herself asked from her husband to build the monastery, which took its name from her origin, Panagia Grivitsiani, but there are many variations on this matter.
Today Panagia Grivitsiani is also named Saints Theodores, a double name that is also explained in the religious tradition. It was added in the early 20th century when people settled in the region from Alonistaina, who brought with them their iconostases. The icon of Saints Theodores was put in the iconostasis of a woman from Alonistaina, when she saw in her sleep the Saints, who asked her to be housed in a church. The next day she went to the village priest and told him her dream and he thought of the abandoned chapel. Although Saints Theodores do not exist anywhere among the hagiographies of Panagia Grivitsiani, it has prevailed since the beginning of the century to call the monastery as the monastery of Saints Theodores.
Panagia Grivitsiani was enclosed in a high wall, in which occasionally distinguished turrets. The church in its original form belonged to the type of cruciform church with small dimensions, square plan and octagonal dome. The church of Panagia Grivitsiani is adorned with frescoes dating to the 17th century, a significant part of which has been coated.