Monastery Metamorphosis of the Savior
In the west of , on top of a hill about an altitude of 300 meters, is built the Monastery Metamorphosis of the Savior, dating from the 13th century. Since the first Christian years, there is existed here a church, but it was completely destroyed and the Monastery Metamorphosis of the Savior was rebuilt from the beginning in about 1250 by Despot of Epirus Michael II. This cross-shaped nave chapel with a rectangular floor plan.
During the centuries, monks have lived here, but the natural disasters were interrupting the life of the monastery. In the early 20th century, it was attempted for the last time the installation of the monks at the Monastery Metamorphosis of the Savior in Galaxidi, but the effort was abandoned soon. Since 1989, however, the works have restored the ruined parts of the monastery, the manor, the cells and the stone wall and it still accepts people who want to live close to God, vior the visitors of this historical place.
The view from the Monastery Metamorphosis of the Savior is fantastic, because if the weather is good, you will admire the lush greenery, the clear blue waters of the Gulf Krissaios withthat adorn it, Galaxidi, but also the opposite slopes of .
In 1865, in a crypt of the ruined church of then the Monastery Metamorphosis of the Savior, the resident of Galaxidi Konstantinos Stathas has invented the famous “Chronicle of Galaxidi”. Written by the monk Euthymius in 1703, as it is reported in the same manuscript, it recounts the history of the city for a period of about eight centuries. Nowadays, it is kept at the.