Old Monastery of John the Baptist
In the southeast of , in Phocis, at a distance of 5 km, it is located the Old Monastery John the Baptist, whose official name is the Old Monastery of Agios Ioannis Prodromos. It is built in a deep ravine inaccessible of the area, outside of the town of Phocis, which is called Drimonas.
The Old Monastery of John the Baptist is estimated to be built in the 13th-14th century, the era of Palaeologus in Byzantine. It is a small church in mass, with integrated steeple. Recently, it was renovated and restored, as the old manor of the monastery.
The role that has played the Old Monastery of John the Baptist was determinant, during the Revolution of 1821. Not only because it was the spiritual center of fighters, such as Athanasios Diakos, Isaiah of Salona and Makriyannis, but also because it was a hideout and base of Revolutionaries for their attacks against the Turkish army. In the Memoirs of Makriyannis, indeed, there are many reports of General in the Old Monastery of John the Baptist, as he often visited it throughout his life. He was looking here for spiritual peace and quiet away from the ferocity of the battle, so the old Monastery of John the Baptist is also known as the Monastery of Makriyannis.