Ecclesiastical Museum in Roustika
The Ecclesiastical Museum in Roustika in Rethymno prefecture is located to the southwest of the city of , in the homonymous village next to the church of the village dating back to the 14th century.
The collection of the Ecclesiastical Museum in Roustika includes relics mostly from the nearby Byzantine churches of the Assumption of Virgin Mary and of the Transfiguration of the Savior, such as icons of the old iconostasis depicting Agios Charalampos (Saint Charalambos) and Michael Archangel, a gold embroidered Epitaphios, priestly vestments and liturgical objects. Among all the exhibits, the icon of Agios Ioannis Pantokratoras (Almighty) (dating to 16th -17th c.) and the icon of the enthroned Virgin and Child stand out.
Apart from the Ecclesiastical Museum in Roustika, the visitor can see the Byzantine church located nearby dedicated to the Virgin Mary and Christ the Savior. The peculiar bell-tower of 1627, the wooden iconostasis and exceptional frescoes, dating to the temple construction in 1381, representing punishments of the damned, saints on the horses, the preparation of the Cross, the Crucifixion, the Deposition of Christ and others are worth seeing.
Open upon request