Archaeological Collection of Northern Ithaca

The Archaeological Collection of Northern Ithaca is located in the village Stavros, in northern Ithaca, in the region Pilikata, near the excavation site of a settlement of the early Helladic period. It houses findings from all excavations in northern Ithaca, from the early 20th century to today.

The objects exhibited on the premises of Archeological Collection of Northern Ithaca date from the early Helladic to the Roman period. Most of them come from the excavations at the Cave of Loizos and Pilikata, made by the British Archeological School of Athens.

The most important exhibit of the Archeological Collection of Northern Ithaca is the fragment with the inscription “EFCHI ODYCCEI” found in the Cave of Loizos in Poli. It means “prayer to Odysseus” and certifies that the Homeric hero was indeed king of Ithaca and as it was common, he was later worshiped as god. The fragment comes from a dedicatory inscription and was part of a clay female bust dating from the 2nd century BC.

In the Archaeological Collection of Northern Ithaca you will also find lots of large bronze tripods that were also found in the Cave of Loizos and prove that the cave, located on the beach of Poli in Stavros, was indeed a sanctuary.

The building which houses the Archeological Collection of Northern Ithaca was built in 1933 to accommodate the findings of the English School, that had been working in northern Ithaca since 1930.

The Archaeological Collection of Northern Ithaca is open to the public daily, except Mondays, from 8:30 to 15:00.

Telephone: 26740-31305 / Mobile: 6945-840055

Most Popular