The island is located at the south of peninsula of Palliki, at the entrance of the bay of Livadi. It consists of an elongated part to the east and wider at westward. In one version, the name is of Latin origin, from Italian vardia or guardiano meaning guardian. In others, it is named after the surname of some of their owners. In 1824 it was built in the middle of the island, a magnificent lighthouse under the command of the English Charles Napier. In a height of 25meters, it is consisted of a cylindrical tower and a side house for keepers. The tower was destroyed by Italian bombing in 1942 and completely destroyed by the devastating earthquake of 1953. Today the place stands a much smaller lighthouse serving the passing vessels. On the island there were still two monasteries, St Nicolas and Evangelistria, ruins of which, everyone can visit even today.