Agios Nikolaos of Ephesians
The church of Agios Nicolaos of Ephesians, the second one that is dedicated to Agios Nicolaos, (the other one is Agios Nicolaos Flarios, is located in the center of Kalamata at the junction of Meletiou s and Faron streets on the Square of Frangolimna. The church of Agios Charalambos and the cemetery of the capital of Messinia is at northeast of the temple.
Agios Nikolaos of Ephesians was declared by a ministerial order as a “building requiring special protection”. In the same text, Agios Nicolaos of Ephesians is described as “aisle church with a pitched roof and three-sided apse of sanctuary having a newly classical style that is indicative of the second half of the 19th century.”
The church of Agios Nicolaos of Ephesians owes its name to the fact that it was owned by one of the most historic families of Kalamata, the Ephesians as we can see in documents in the Messinian capital since 1725 when Nicolaos Ephesius married the sister of Panagiotis Benakis, one of protagonists of Orlov Revolt.
Agios Nikolaos of Ephesians is a chapel of the temple of Ypapanti and celebrates on December 6th.