Saidona is a mountainous village in western Mani, at an altitude of approximately 600 m, 54 km away from Kalamata and 13 km away from , and is amphitheatrically built on the southwest side of Mountaint Sotiritsa at the foot of Taygetos. Those who passed by that place, admired the beauty of the village within the environment created by huge oaks and flowing waters with cobblestone alleys and old traditional stone houses overlooking the sea. Furthermore, the beauty of the landscape and the existence of many nightingales gave the name to the village (nightingales- “Aidonia” – San – Saidona).
The first inhabitants were settled in Saidona after the Ottoman conquest of Greece, as evidenced by the ruins of houses and the existence of two historically preserved tower monasteries of the area,and dated back to the 17th century.
Other remarkable monuments of Saidona are theand the temples of Archangel of the 13th century and Saint Nicolaos of 1830. The participation of the villagers was important in all national liberation struggles as they participated in the resistance action of 1940. In honor of the fallen fighters of the region, they have erected a monument at the entrance of Saidona, where each year on the Sunday before Assumption a memorial prayer takes place.