The Church of Agios Georgios in Ermoupoli is situated in the homonymous road that leads to Ano Syros. The marble belfry shows the entrance in the precincts of the temple. It was built in 1839 and is a basilica. It was the third church built in Syros after the Metamorphosis of Savior (1824) and the Assumption (1828).
The inscription on the central apse of Agios Georgios indicates the patron, donors and the date of completion of the temple. The original church has been altered by successive repairs from 1857 to the early 20th century. Originally, it was a church with open arcades on three sides, which have now closed.
On the long sides, of the Church of Agios Georgios had been added the chapels of Agia Thecla and Agios Andreas. In the marble temple of Agia Thekla, there is an inscription with the name of the sculptor J. Filippotis. The icons are works of Fr. Desipris, D. Kostarakis, Emm Psaltidis. The building on the west side of Agios Georgios, which now houses the bones, for many years, has operated the Syrian Seminary.
Next to the church of Agios Georgios is situated the Orthodox cemetery that was inaugurated in 1834 and includes remarkable architectural funerary monuments.