Posidonia is a coastal village of Syros, in the gulf of Phoenix, in the southwest of the island. It’s away from Ermoupoli 12 km and has about 800 residents. It is built on part of Syros that is fertile and green.
The settlement of Posidonia, which is one of the most popular summer resorts of Syros, is characterized by stately mansions that are built on both sides of the main road that crosses the village. These are the cottages of the lords of Syros, built in neoclassical designs of romanticism in the late 19th century, most between 1850 and 1880.
From the mansions of Posidonia stands out the villa Tsiropina (ex-mayor of Syros), which is characterized as a historical and maintained monument, while currently is used for various events.
Posidonia was formerly known as Delagratsia – thus is mentiones by Markos Vamvakaris, in the famous rebetiko “Fragkosuriani”. The latin name is derived from the Catholic Church Mary or Madonna della Grazia (Madonna Della Grazia), which is dedicated to Our Lady of Grace and it is in the village. The name was given to Posidonia from the settlement of an ancient city, believed to have been built on the point.
Other attractions of Posidonia are:
• The Orthodox church of St. John, where takes place a great festival on 29th of August.
• The Club Posidonia with the tennis court, the oldest in Greece.
• The Catholic Church of St. Peter built in 1860 on a hilltop.
• The Catholic Seminary.
Very close to Posidonia, which has itself a beautiful beach, are the beaches Fetouri, Komito and Agathopes where you will find numerous sea lilies!