Monastery of Panagia ton Thavmaton (Virgin Mary of the Miracles)
At Kastelli, the famous village of Chania, at the end of the Agios Markos street, lie the ruins of the Monastery of Panagia ton Thavmaton, that was built in 1615 for the Dominican nuns of the city.
Santa Maria dei Miracoli, as is the Latin name of the Monastery of Panagia ton Thavmaton, was an entire complex, consisting of a church and cells, surrounded by a fortification. When the Venetian occupation in Chania was at its peak, the Monastery attracted crowds of believers.
The Monastery of Panagia ton Thavmaton was severely damaged due to the bombing of Chania, in 1941, during the Second World War.
Today only the southern and part of the eastern walls of the church (the Catholicon), a part of the cells and the outer wall of the Monastery and a part of the old roofed hallway leading from the church to the cells are still preserved.
The archeological site of the ruins of the Monastery of Panagia ton Thavmaton is open to visitors.