National Festival of Traditional Dances of Anthia
Evros having a long history in traditional dances could not miss s a music and dance festival dedicated to the folk tradition. It takes place every year in Anthia by the cultural association ‘Spartacus’ that is active not only in the region but across the country, as it has nationwide character.
It began in 1995 and for nearly twenty years the festival brings groups of traditional dances from all over Greece, traveling in borders of Evros not only to dance, but mainly to know the area having so great gifts of nature and culture.
In the festival, dancers from across the country in collaboration with the organizers who try every year for a perfect organization, visit the surrounding villages and the most important attractions of Evros: Evros Delta, forest of Dadia, the archaeological site of Great Doxipara and Zoni-Messimvria and much more. Moreover, the “Spartacus” ensures that the festival has also an educational role for the visitors, who have the opportunity to learn about the tradition and culture of Thrace. Above all, of course, they have the opportunity to learn traditional Thracian dances with special music and the intricate steps by the teachers in Anthia.
It is estimated that 400 dancers from dance clubs will participate in Festival July 2014:
1) DANCE CLUB OF THE GREAT SCHOOL – CONSTANTINOPLE
2) GREEK COMMUNITY OF HAMILTON CANADA
3) CLUB OF PONTIANS KOMNINOI DRAMA
4) DANCING GROUP OF THESSALONIKI
5) LYCEUMOF GREEK WOMEN OF VOLOS
6) TRADITIONAL CLUB EROFYLLI RETHYMNO
7) CULTURAL ASSOCIATION OF KATSIKAS IOANNINA
8) EDUCATIONAL AND CULTURAL ASSOCIATION OF SPARTACUS
9) CULTURAL ASSOCIATION OF TRADITIONAL DANCES MITHYNAS MOLYVOS
10) THRACIAN CLUB THESSALONIKI
11) ASSOCIATION OF FLORINA “THE ARISTOTLE”
You can see detailed program of this year’s events lasting from 18 to 20 July in the club website (www.spartakosaa.gr).