Saint Eleftherios of Alexandroupolis

Saint Eleftherios of Alexandroupolis is a church made of stone. It is a three-nave basilica without a dome that was erected in the mid-20th century. It was inaugurated in 1955, while in the meantime believers were using the old wooden church of Saint Eleftherios of Alexandroupolis, which used to be located next to the new one.

The gynaeceum of Saint Eleftherios of Alexandroupolis is constructed as the one of Saint Demetrius of Thessaloniki. It is almost circular, covering much of the church, as it extends to the bema.

The icon of Saint Eleftherios of Alexandroupolis was made by the famous artist Rego and it is considered an excellent example of religious art.

The Church of Saint Eleftherios of Alexandroupolis is located in the Ipsilantou Street, in the city centre of Evros. It is one of the many religious monuments and churches of the area, which is home to a wealth of cultures and religions, due to its geographic location at the crossroads of civilizations, but also of its history.

Saint Eleftherios of Alexandroupolis celebrates every year on December 15, according to the Orthodox Church.

Most Popular