Agios Ioannis of Amari
The settlement of Agios Ioannis of Amari lies at the south side of the prefecture of Rethymno, approximately 55 km far from and almost 15 km from .
The Agios Ioannis of Amari bears the name of the homonymous old temple that, according to the legends, once was a great monastery.
In 1630 the settlement of Agios Ioannis of Amari is mentioned for the first time by Francesco Basilicata.
A great part of the residents of Agios Ioannis of Amari has been spirited fighters in almost all national liberation struggles, such as the Macedonian struggle, the Minor Asia campaign and the National Resistance.
In Agios Ioannis of Amari several important archaeological finds were excavated and many wells and watermills were recorded. In the past, moreover, five factories and four distilleries were operating in this area.
There are three churches in the surrounding area of Agios Ioannis of Amari: the church of Four Martyrs, which is also the patron saint of the village, the church of Agios Ioannis, which is the cemetery of the village, and the church of Agia Sophia, which has been also a monastery in the old days.
Today, in Agios Ioannis of Amari the Cultural Association of Agios Ioannis “The Kyminaris” in cooperation with expatriate villagers make considerable efforts to maintain the customs and traditions of the village.