The village Aimonas in the prefecture of Rethymno lies on the road to , approximately 50 km far from the .
The Aimonas village located on the southern slopes of Mount Koukoulonas, at an altitude of 400 meters, was referred historically in 1577 by Barozzi.
For the origin of the name of Aimonas there are many versions. One of them refers to a notary of time of its founding. The other, the most prevalent, mentions the church of Agios Panteleimonas that stands in the village.
Archaic plates and figurines dating to Daedalic Period were found in the village of Aimonas, which, like all the other villages, preserves its own legends. The myth about Nertzokokolis, for example, who grazed his sheep unconcerned, when the Turks attacked him, but he was saved by a Christian man. Another legend speaks about an “old stone”, as the locals call it, a strange hill south of the village, which was plowed by a priest and his wife would take him his lunch every midday. One day, though, she was late and the priest cursed her and she turned into stone.
Aimonas is a village that maintains its traditions. The residents are engaged in Cretan music, while many of them gained recognition throughout Greece.