The Akoumia village in the prefecture of Rethymno is located on the road leading to Agia Galini, 39 km southeast of the .
Built in the northern foothills of the Asiderota Mountain, at an altitude of over 500 meters, Akoumia is the origin of the, which flows into , while there is a beautiful beach of nearby.
It seems that the settlement acquired the name Akoumia in the 10th century, during the rule of Nikiforos Fokas, when a Byzantine family of Koumis had moved there. Prevalent, however, is a version that mentions small structures (or Koumous) for keeping the animals and which were located where the village now stands.
The date of foundation of the settlement of Akoumia remains unknown, but, according to a local tradition, it must have been established when the Byzantine Empire was flourishing, around 1000 AD. Today the village has about 500 permanent residents, who are mainly engaged in olive growing, animal husbandry and tourism.
Almost Aegean-style alleys, two stone bridges, water mills and mills, a two-storey tower, which is said to be a property of the Byzantine Lady Mary, the fountain in front of the bell tower of the main church, which has been serving the residents of the village for about 200 years, but also the abandoned spring Agiasmatsi, on the western side of the village, are some of the attractions for those who visit the Akoumia village.
The big square with a centuries-old plane tree in the middle and the traditional cafeterias of the village of Akoumia get crowded on August, 15, when a big feast is held.
In the area of the village of Akoumia there are 20 churches, monasteries and chapels. The most important of them are the church of the Transfiguration of the Christ, the first Byzantine church built in 1389, according to a tradition, by Lady Mary, the church of the Assumption of the Virgin Mary, which is the cathedral of the village, and the monastery of Agios Antonios of Katevati 6 km away from the village.