Ecclesiastical Museum of Preveli Monastery.
The Ecclesiastical Museum of Preveli Monastery is located inside the Rethymno prefecture and, particularly, behind the Agios Ioannis Prodromos monastery, displaying exhibits mainly dating to 18th and 19th centuries.in
The Ecclesiastical Museum of Preveli Monastery displays about 100 icons (1600 AD – 1900 AD) from the occasional decorations of the Katholikon (main church). This important collection, with obvious Late-Cretan School influence, shows us the great theological technique as far as the selection and compositional issues are concerned.
Moreover, in the Ecclesiastical Museum of Preveli Monastery, the visitor can see a considerable number of liturgical objects and Gospels which together add to the wealth of relics of the monastery.
The monastic library especially stands out in the Ecclesiastical Museum of Preveli Monastery. It lists about a thousand volumes of various books, some ecclesiastical incunabula as well as handwritten missals, the sigillum of Patriarch Gregory V, the Silver-bound Evangel from 1807, the Gold-plated chalice with cover, 1847, etc.
Among other exhibits, the Ecclesiastical Museum of Preveli Monastery displays also a tribute to the events that occurred during the Battle of Crete and the miraculous Holy Cross of the Monastery, which was an oblation from the Abbot Effraim Prevelis (1769-1803) from Istanbul.