Minoan Settlement of Apodoulos
The Minoan Settlement of Apodoulos in Rethymno prefecture is an archaeological site near the village of , located 54 km southeast of . Archaeological excavations by Spiros Marinatos in 1934 revealed the remnants of an old palace. The research was continued by the German Archaeological Institute during the Second World War and later, in 1985, by the Ministry of Culture in collaboration with the University of Naples. Based on the findings, the human presence in ancient Minoan settlement Apodoulos dates from the prehistoric to modern times. The remains of the Minoan Period were found in 1934 and over the years, new places with Minoan and the subsequent years’ findings were discovered.
The site of the Minoan Settlement of Apodoulos is located upon the road that connected the palace of Phaistos with the big Palaiopalatial period structure ofand probably functioned as a stopover. The settlement was destroyed by a strong fire caused by an earthquake, the same period as the nearby centers were destroyed as well.
The ancient Minoan Settlement of Apodoulos was of an extreme importance in antiquity because of the location it was built in, as it controlled the passage to the Messara valley. Three important building complexes were revealed in this area (1950-1700 BC) along with vaulted tombs of Postpalatial period (1380-1200 BC), one of which had a road 7 m in length and a chamber with a diameter of 3.10 meters. Inside there were three sarcophagi (1380-1200 BC)
Two other graves in the cemetery are also important. A vaulted tomb of the 14th century BC, with its 4.5 meters’ road, steps and many artifacts inside, such as bronze weapons, pottery, jewelry and an amulet inscribed in Linear A’ writing. The second is a rock-hewn chambered tomb with 15.50 meters’ road and 25 steps. The most striking finding is the remnants of a wooden stretcher dating to the period 1400-1200 BC.
Of the three buildings that were found, the first is located east of the hill and in its original form had two floors. The jars and other pots that were found on the ground floor attest to this building being used as storage space. The second building is a large complex of eminent places, while the third building is located east of the first one and dates to a younger period than the other two.