Monopari is a small village near Ano Valsamonero of the prefecture of Rethymno located approximately 17 km southwest of the .
The ruins of a Venetian castle built on a steep cliff can be seen in the village of Monopari, located within 1.5 km from Ano Valsamonero. According to the prevailing version, the name of the settlement comes from a corruption of the name of this solid fortress (Bon Riparo = good strong fort or fortress).
The castle was built in 1206 by a Mediterranean pirate, the Count of Malta Henry Pescatore from Genoa and was one of the 15 forts built by the Genoese in Crete. According to another version, the fortress was built earlier, in the Byzantine Period (1185), during the Komninos rule, and was known as the Tower Melissenos.
Monopari was protected by a long wall only on its western side, while the other sides were steep and didn’t require a wall to protect them. Later, the fort was used by the Venetians, who added a few buildings, which are still visible today.