Church of St. George Kournas
The Church of St. George Kournas was built in the late 12th century, initially in the form of a three-aisled wooden basilica with narthex and blind arches on its side walls. It is estimated that around 1230, a single spaced nave of Christ with a wooden roof was added to its south.
Later, the wooden roof of the Church of St. George Kournas was replaced with pointed arches with strainers in the main aisles and semi circular arches in the secondary. In the late 19th century, the interior vaults that divide the aisles and the south wall of the original basilica were replaced with large arches for the integration of the space of the main church.
The original decoration of the Church of St. George Kournas confirms the fact that Crete during the Middle Byzantine Period was an important province in terms of art, where it reaches a high level of quality, until about the mid-13th century.