The Church of Panagia Portaitissa in Kornofolia of Soufli is dependency of the Iveron Monastery on Mountain Athos. It hosts a great replica of the original icon of Mountain Athos, as well as the foot relics of Saint Charalambos. The foundation of the Church of Panagia Portaitissa has not been ascertained by the researchers. However, it is estimated that it was build around middle ages. Since 1947, it officially belongs to the Iveron Monastery, according to the Holy Synod.
During the Turkish occupation it belonged to “kazas” (prefecture) of Adrianoupolis and constituted the center of Hellenism in the region. In the Church of Panagia Portaitissa many Greeks were educated, as the abbots of the Monastery were always encouraging or taking part in the Struggle. In fact, the abbot Porfyrios of the Church of Panagia Portaitissa died a martyr’s death by the Turks in 1912.
The visitors of the Church of Panagia Portaitissa of Evros can see today the marble plaque with the dedicatory inscription of 1857 at the entrance of the church, which informs that the current katholikon (main church) was built on the ruins of an earlier one. The monastery celebrates the Homily for Assumption of Panagia on August 23.
Lofos Kouri, Kornofolia Soufli