Kavousi is a small village in the prefecture of Rethymno, located on the road leading to the monastery of Arkadi, 21 km southeast of the city of .
The name of Kavousi comes from the word Kavouz which means spring, while, from 1577, it had been referred to by Barozzi as Cavussi. Kavousi in Cretan dialect means small cavity or cistern that collects water from a small source and it is widely used as a name for various areas all over the island, so the name can be found in other settlements of Crete.
In this beautiful and peaceful village located at an altitude of 560 meters, a major attraction is the preserved church of Agios Ioannis Theologos (St. John the Theologian), which dates back to the Venetian period.
On the way out from the village, next to the road, there is a rare forest of arias, a species of oak that adorns the wild and beautiful natural surroundings.
The historicis five kilometers far from Kavousi.