Ecclesiastical Museum of the Monastery of Chrysopigi
The Ecclesiastical Museum of the Monastery of Chrysopigi is located in Nerokouros, three kilometers from the city of Chania in the homonymous Patriarchal monastery dedicated to the Virgin Mary Zoodochos Pigi. The monastery of Chrysopigi is stavropegic as its management is done directly by the Ecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople.
The Ecclesiastical Museum of the Monastery of Chrysopigi keep the relics that survived the looting and destruction that the monastery suffered at times. These are old photos, sacred vessels and ecclesiastical gold embroidery art of the 18th and 19th century.
There the visitor can see blessing crosses, books, official documents and woodwork. Among the most interesting exhibits are the icons of the old temple which was burned in 1821 by the fire that destroyed also the rest of the monastery. These are the icons of Christ Pantocrator, St. Basil, St. Nicholas, the Assumption, Archangel Gabriel and Christ as Vine, which are all works of the Cretan School.
Next to the Ecclesiastical Museum of the Monastery of Chrysopigi lies also the Folklore Museum of Monastery of Chrysopigi, exhibiting works of folk embroidery, traditional costumes, samples of cosmic and ecclesiastical woodwork, photographs, paintings, traditional agricultural tools etc.
Address: Nerokouros Chania
Opening Hours: 8:00 to 12:00 and 15:30 to 18:00