Church of Agios Iassonas and Agios Sossipatros
One of the oldest churches of Corfu is dedicated to the Saints Iassonas and Sossipatros, pupils of Saint Paul, who spread Christianity on the island and are buried there: The Church of Agios Iassonas and Agios Sossipatros dates back to the 11th century and it is believed that it was probably built on the ruins of an ancient temple, as many of the building materials come from the edifices of Palaiopoli of Corfu. Besides it is built in the region of Anemomylos, very close to the archaeological site.
The Church of Agios Iassonas and Agios Sossipatros, is built in a two-column cruciform with a dome, which is based on walls and two columns in the west. The icons of the church are works of art of the great artist Emmanouil Mponialis Tzanes, who achieved great things in Corfu, and of Michael Damaskinos. The iconostasis of the Church of Agios Iassonas and Agios Sossipatros is made of marble, in a baroque rhythm of the 18th century.
The church is of rectangular shape, 16,30 meters long and 12,20 meters wide. The Church of Agios Iassonas and Agios Sossipatros was probably, according to findings, full of religious paintings which were destroyed to a large extent around 1820, when the church was whitewashed.
The Church of Agios Iassonas and Agios Sossipatros, is considered the most significant monument of the Byzantine era in Corfu.