The village of Provatonas is located on the main national road that connects the northern and southern Evros, between the villages of Tychero and Lefkimmi. It is about 45 km from Alexandroupolis and 3 km from Tychero. Here lies a big timber factory and the cotton ginning plant, of the Unions of Agricultural Cooperatives of Evros.
The residents of Provatonas are refugees from various villages of Eastern Thrace, who came after 1922 in the area, with the population exchange. The old name of the village was Kouingere (= place of sheep) hence the name – translation Provatonas.
The square of Provatonas is adorned by the Byzantine style church of Saint Paraskevi. Most of the inhabitants, about 1000 according to the latest census, are engaged in agriculture and animal husbandry. In lowland areas are cultivated wheat, corn, sunflowers, sugar beet, vegetables and asparagus.
The position of Provatonas on the map is appropriate for excursions both to the Dadia Forest, and further south, to the .