The Archaeological Museum of Syros is one of the oldest greek museums. It was established in between 1834 and 1835 and from 1899 it’s accommodated in the City Hall, having its own entrance on the west side of the building, built by Ernest Chiller. It is found in Miaoulis Square, in the center of Hermoupolis.
It is a small museum, numbering no more than four rooms. One of the most important exhibits of the Archaeological Museum is the “two-handled cup”, a tubular cup, dating back to the end of the third millennium B.C. It’s height is approximately 15 centimeters and comes from the settlement of.
We can also see the “Compass” a seven centimeters high vessel, whose main body has an oblate spheroid shape, two exceptional vertical tubular handles, wonderful decoration and a flat circular lid. This vessel comes from a cemetery ofand is dating back to the second half of the 3rd millennium B.C.
From the same source, there is also a marble figurine of a woman, with dimensions approximately 35 cm and a pan-like shaped vessel. Both of them can be seen at the Archaeological Museum.
We can’t forget mention the black granite egyptian figurine of the priest Anchapis, member of the 22nd dynasty (730 B.C.), that was offered as a gift to the Archaeological Museum.
Many exhibits complete the collection of the Archaeological Museum, mainly from the Hellenistic and Roman eras, such as sculptures, inscriptions and decorated columns. In the last hall, there is an exhibition devoted to the archaeologist Christos Choudas, who did excavations in the island during the 19th century.
Archaeological Museum of Syros
Emmanouil Bemakis, northwestern side of the City Hall.
Tel.: (0030) 22810- 88487