Monastery of Pantokratoras
The Monastery of Pantokratoras is built at an altitude of 914 meters, on the tallestof Corfu and it is named after it. According to the charter of the monastery, which is saved in a parchment in the General Archives of Corfu, the Monastery of Pantokratoras was founded in 1347, when the residents of 23 villages of the mountain built the monastery.
According to historical testimonies the initial Monastery of Pantokratoras was destroyed in 1537 but, was rebuilt during the 17th century, with its façade dating back to the 19th century.
The sanctuary of the Monastery of Pantokratoras is of triple aisled basilica rhythm with an inclining roof, arched windows and spacious narthex and today this edifice of the 17th century is renovated. Even its murals date back to the 14th century, while the ecclesiastical utensils are made of silver.
The Monastery of Pantokratoras is celebrated on the 6th of August, on the day of the Metamorphosis of Sotiros.