Monastery of Zoodohos Pigi
The building complex of the Monastery of Zoodohos Pigi is situated in the village of Kastellanoi of Corfu, approximately in the middle of the island.
The founder of this old monastery is one of the Venetian lords who passed from Greece. Prospero Marini (1637-1694), a noble of Corfu, had the title of admiral of the Venetian Fleet, because of his heroic participation in the siege of Chandakas (Heraklion) by the Turks. The grave of Marini is in the Monastery of Zoodohos Pigi, while in his will, he left a special legacy to the monastery, with a desire to operate there a reading-room for the local children.
It took three centuries for the Monastery of Zoodohos Pigi to be abandoned and to make the dream of Marini a reality and to operate in its facilities an educational institution.
Indeed, in the 60s, the buildings of the Monastery of Zoodohos Pigi were used to house the primary and secondary school then and today the high school of Kastellanoi.
To date, however, an oil painting in the natural size of Georgios Theotokis, work of Samartzis, the cross with the winged lion of St. Mark and part of the coat of arms of Marini, are saved.