Archaeological site of Paleopoli
In northern Samothrace, just outside the present village of
The ruins of the archaeological site of Paleopoli are buried beneath the dense vegetation of the mountain and the objects obtained through archaeological research are exhibited in the . The port of the archaeological site of Paleopolis was placed outside the walls and the boulders forming the pier are still visible today in the sea, at the end of the steep ridge of Agios Georgios.
In this location, east of the port, also lies the Byzantine, early Christian church dedicated to the Apostle Paul, who as mentioned in the Acts of the Apostles, passed through here on his trip to Kavala. Very near stands the , a later monument to this event.
In the Middle Ages, the fortifications of the archaeological site of Paleopoli was enhanced, while during the rule of the Gateluzzi in Samothrace, in 1430, the fortress included a moat, a courtyard and three , one of which is still preserved in a very good condition.