Evros – Buildings

The capital of Evros is one of the cities that were created in the late 19th century. Previously, there was in the area just a small port, called Dedeagatch and it served mostly fishermen. However, with the advent of railway network things changed and soon Dedeagatch became commercial and maritime center. At that time were built most of the historic buildings of Alexandroupolis. Those preserved until today are creations of special architectural value and belong to the city’s attractions.

Tobacco Shop is probably the most recognizable of the historic buildings of Alexandroupolis. From the late 19th century its bulk dominates the city skyline. Buildings of educational character like the 1st or the 3rd Primary School are also among the historic buildings of Alexandroupolis attracting the visitors’ interest.

The Lighthouse is the most recognizable monument at the port, but the old Warehouses belong to the historic buildings of Alexandroupolis as well. The Mill of Massoura, the house of Antoinette and the Bishopric are only some of the places that a visitor must see by close.

Finally, the Old Hospital, is the oldest building of the historic buildings of Alexandroupolis.

  • Ταχυδρομείο

    Το κτίριο του Ταχυδρομείου έχει κριθεί διατηρητέο από το Σεπτέμβριο του 2012

  • Πρώτο Δημοτικό

    Το Πρώτο Δημοτικό της Αλεξανδρούπολης είναι σχολικό κτήριο που φιλοξένησε κατά καιρούς πρόσφυγες στην πόλη.

  • Παλιό Νοσοκομείο

    Το Παλιό Νοσοκομείο της Αλεξανδρούπολης χτίστηκε το 19ο αιώνα και λειτούργησε ως νοσοκομείο κατά το μεγαλύτερο μέρος του 20ού.

  • Post Office

    The building of the Post Office has been declared a listed building since the September of 2012.

  • House of Antoinette

    The House of Antoinette is entirely built of wood and it hosts the homonymous the Association of Greek-French Friendship .

  • Post Office

    The building of the Post Office has been declared a listed building since the September of 2012.

  • First Primary School

    The First Primary School is a school building that occasionally hosted refugees in the city.

  • Old Hospital

    The Old Military Hospital of Alexandroupolis was built in the 19th century and served as hospital for most of the 20th century.

  • Mill Massoura

    The Mill of Massoura was built in 1930 in Alexandroupolis and worked as flour milling industry unit until 1967.

  • Leontarideios School

    The Leontarideios School is located n the Mitropoleos Square and now operates as an Ecclesiastical Museum.

  • Tobacco Shop

    The Tobacco Shop is the most imposing building in the urban landscape of Alexandroupolis. It was constructed in 1892 and was restored in 2014.

  • Bishopric

    The Bishopric is a two-storey building next to the Catholic Church of Alexandroupolis.

  • Municipal Conservatory

    The Municipal Conservatory of Alexandroupolis is housed in a neoclassical building of 1933.

  • The building of Democritus

    The building of the Democritus University is located in Alexandroupolis’ city center and it used to house the National Bank.

  • Warehouses of the Port

    The Warehouses of the Port of Alexandroupolis were constructed in 19th century and constituted the city’s trade center.

  • 3rd Primary School

    The building of the 3rd Primary School of Alexandroupolis has been housing since the mid-19th century many city schools.

Most Popular